AUSTIN, Texas – The University of Texas Track & Field program heads to Lubbock for the Big 12 Conference Indoor Championships on Friday, Feb. 22 and Saturday, Feb. 23. The Longhorn women will look to defend their crown and win their fifth indoor conference championship in six seasons, while the men look for their fourth title in the last seven years.
LONGHORNS AT BIG 12 INDOORS
• The Longhorn women have won nine Big 12 indoor conference titles, including four in the last five years.
• UT looks to defend its women’s title after taking home first place last season with 117 points.
• The Longhorn men have won eight Big 12 indoor conference titles, including three of the last six.
• Texas looks for its first title since 2017, after taking runner-up to this year’s host, Texas Tech, at last year’s conference championship (143-129).
LONGHORNS’ INDOOR CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS
• Three current Longhorn women have won Big 12 Indoor conference titles in their careers: Rushelle Burton (2017, 60m Hurdles), Teahna Daniels (2017, 60m) and Ashtin Zamzow (2018, pentathlon).
• A total of seven Longhorn men on the current roster have won a Big 12 Indoor conference title: Terry Brown, Jr. (2018, DMR), Micaiah Harris (2018, 400m), Steffin McCarter (2018, long jump), George Patrick (2018, heptathlon), Tripp Piperi (2018, shot put), Alex Rogers (2018, mile; DMR) and Sam Worley (2018, DMR).
• Two Longhorn true freshmen lead the way for Texas in the indoor season as the top-ranked student-athletes in their events.
• Kynnedy Flannel (Alvin, Texas) is No. 2 in the country in the 200m, but ranked No. 1 in the Big 12 in both the 200m and 60m.
• Jonathan Jones (Barbados) is No. 3 in the country in the 400m and ranked No. 1 in the conference in the event.
IN THE FIELD
• The Big 12 Indoor Championship marks the last time for student-athletes to qualify for the NCAA Indoor Championships (Birmingham, Ala., March 8-9). To qualify, a student-athlete must be ranked in the Top 16 of their event and a relay must be in the Top 12.
• Kynnedy Flannel currently ranks No. 2 in the 200m and No. 14 in the 60m nationally
• Jonathan Jones ranks No. 3 in the 400m
• Alex Rogers is No. 8 in the 3000m and No. 16 in the mile
• Tripp Piperi is No. 4 in the shot put
• The Men’s Distance Medley Relay ranks No. 5
• Gabby Crank is No. 7 in the 800m
• Sam Worley sits at No. 8 nationally in the mile
• O’Brien Wasome is No. 8 in the triple jump
• Steffin McCarter ins No. 10 in the long jump
• The Women’s 4x400m Relay team is No. 10 in the qualifying order
ON THE CUSP
• Several student-athletes are on the cusp on qualifying for nationals with improvements this week at Big 12 Indoors.
• The Women’s Distance Medley Relay currently ranks No. 13
• Barrett Poth is currently No. 22 in the pole vault
• John Burt ranks No. 24 in the 60m Hurdles
• Elena Bruckner is No. 17 in the shot put
• Shay Petty currently ranks No. 17 in the pole vault
• Teahna Daniels is No. 24 in the 60m
• Mariam Abdul-Rashid is No. 26 in the 60m Hurdles
• Serenity Douglas is No. 24 in the 400m and No. 29 in the 200m
• Kennedy Simon is No. 24 in the 400m