The 2016 World Junior Championships will be held, despite cancellation concerns after the event was taken away from Russia.
At Thursday’s IAAF Council Meeting, “council agreed a process for the reallocation of the two IAAF World Athletics Series competitions – 2016 World Race Walking Team Championships (Cheboksary, RUS) and 2016 World Junior Championships (Kazan, RUS) – which have been removed from Russia due to ARAF’s suspension.”
On November 13, 2015, the IAAF promised they “will announce the reallocation or cancellation of these two IAAF World Athletics Series events as soon as possible.”
Last week, the Kazan Organizing committee, which was still hoping to stage the event, said, “the decision about cancellation of the competition will have negative consequences for the development of athletics in Russia and Kazan.”
Today, November 26, the IAAF in a statement after the council meeting, said “A number of countries have already expressed interest in staging these events. An accelerated bidding process will open next week with a decision in early January.”